Beyond the Gate










At the end of a narrow winding road an old
wooden gate lay broken
and hanging loosely on one rusty hinge,
in the centre of a low stone wall
some unseen force was beckoning me,
drawing me closer and encouraging me
to pass through the narrow opening

What would be revealed beyond the gate?
would I find a beautiful landscaped garden
or would there be an overgrown wilderness
beneath gnarled old trees and tangled undergrowth.

Maybe I might find hidden treasure
and long forgotten secrets
just waiting to be revealed.

Entering through the opening
I was delighted to find a narrow path
which led me along to a peaceful
corner place, where I could rest in a shady space
between two trees, their branches overhead
entwined in embrace!













I sat down and lent back against a rock
quietly observing my surroundings and
heaved a sigh as I once again felt safe!
The gentle warmth of the sun's rays
beamed down highlighting various parts
of the garden bringing untold delight
as I saw roses growing in profusion
on an old wooden archway
their scent wafting through the air
and across to me, intoxicating my senses.

From my shoulder bag
I removed a pen and paper
in readiness to sketch
a brilliant coloured Butterfly
that I saw fluttering above
a clump of bright blue Agapanthus
where it briefly settled.

The sun's warmth enveloped me and I felt myself
drifting slowly to sleep and floating aloft on a fleecy
white cloud, away from the traumas I had faced
a few hours earlier when a little man with a pointy nose
and a soft caressing voice had been trying to lure me
into his arms, a place I did not wish to be!
He had taken hold of me to hug close,
I screamed at him to leave me alone
and tugged and pushed and yelled some more,
eventually freeing myself from his vice-like clutches
enabling me to run away.
I had been so afraid and hadn't stopped running
until I had seen the open gate
ahead and run inside to hide.









I floated peacefully
then suddenly there appeared
before me a beautiful woman
dressed in a long blue gown
her brown hair flowing about her shoulders
as she walked towards me smiling and with her arms
outstretched in greeting in readiness to enfold me.
By her side walked a fluffy white cat,
Snow Queen what are you doing here?
I cried in delight!
Meow, meow called the Queen of Cats
we heard your cries for help
and have come to guide you safely back home!
Oh! thank you Queen I have been so scared!









to be continued AMJB 10- 5 -2008








No comments: