Just Bubbles



To feel the warmth from jets of water
flowing against tired feet, limbs and body
after a day out exploring in the Australian bush
was a blissful thought.
I dreamed of floating in a bath of soft sensuous
soapy bubbles and tried to entice my friend to join in!


Back once again in our snug secluded cabin
on Misty Mountain
surrounded by the heady smell
of the eucalypts and the call of the many parrots
feeding from bowls of seeds outside under the verandah
I began my preparations!

Letting the water flow and fill the large spa tub
around me I watched as bubbles rose, higher
and higher, unaware of the danger of having
emptied almost a full bottle of soap into the soft
mountain water in my enthusiasm to begin.

Suddenly realising I was about to become
submurged, I called out in fright to my friend
help! help! I'm drowning in bubbles!

I couldn't see as now the room was full of steam
and a rapidly growing mountain of bubbles were
tickling my nose and in my ears and eyes.
Iwatched in horror and fascination as bubbles
rose up the tiled walls, then escaped over the
edges of the bath and down the steps spreading
across the floor.

Quick hand me my towels I cried in distress
my thoughts now centred on how I could escape
from the insidious clutches of those rapidly growing
bubbles that were filling the room.

This is no laughing matter I said with a slight attempt
at haughtiness, although I could really see the humour
of the situation I had landed myself in.

Suddenly the bubbles popped and slowly subsided
as I slipped and slithered across the wet floor.

Champagne glasses lay forgotten on the floor
where they had fallen in my panic to reach safety
there had been no cause for celebration!
After all who would want to celebrate
the great escape from a mountain of only
soapy bubbles?

AMJB 30th April 2008.

No comments: